Guwahati: People have begun returning home from refugee camps after improvement in the situation in Assam`s BTAD and Dhubri districts, where clashes between Bodos and minority immigrants left 56 dead last month.
"The situation is improving fast with people beginning to return home," Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said here on Wednesday.
"We have fixed August 15 as the date by when the people will be sent home from relief camps," Gogoi said.
There were 278 relief camps sheltering 4.06 lakh persons in Kokrajhar, Chirang, Bongaigaon and Dhubri districts.
"We have decided to set up police pickets to restore confidence. Ten pickets have been set up so far," the chief minister said.
The conflict claimed 56 lives, including six in police firing, while 61 have been injured and 11 are missing.
According to resports, over 45,000 families were affected in 244 villages and 5000 houses burnt during the violence though detailed damage assessment was still continuing.
The army was continuing flag marches in sensitive areas besides patrols by the police and central para-military forces. The government has deployed 65 companies of central forces, official sources said.
Curfew has been relaxed during the day though night curfew will continue in Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri districts, they said.
Medical teams were visiting relief camps.