Rijiju reviews law and order situation in Assam with Gogoi
Guwahati: The Union Home ministry today agreed to extend the deployment of Central Armed Police Forces for another three months in Assam on the request of the state government following the gunning down of Hamren SP and his personal security officer (PSO) by the militants.
The decision was taken at a meeting here between Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju and Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi.
The Home Ministry also agreed to deploy five COBRA units of CRPF to launch counter-insurgency operations in the state and an order to this effect would be issued by MHA on June 9, an official release said.
Now, there are 58 companies of central forces in the state. At the meeting Rijiju assured Gogoi, who also looks after Home, that the Centre would assist and support the state government in foiling extremist and obscurantist forces.
"Modernisation of the police force is a must for dealing with sinister forces. We must be in a proper position to deal with any situation," the release quoted Rijiju as saying.
Rijiju rushed to Guwahati at the directive of Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh to take stock of the law and order situation in the wake of killing of the SP Nitya Nanda Goswami and his PSO Ratul Nunisa by ultras in an encounter in Karbi Anglong district on Thursday night.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know