Road blockade against NDFB extortion drive
Tezpur: Protesting against the extortion drive of militant National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB), the All Assam Gurkha Students Union on Saturday blocked the National Highway-52 in Assam`s Sonitpur district.
The protestors blocking the road at Baliphukhuri near Burigang demanded a halt to the rebel group`s extortion drive in four Gorkha-dominated districts of Bodoland Territoral Administrative Districts (BTAD) of Kokrajhar, Bongaigaon, Udalguri and Baksa, besides the northern part of neighbouring Sonitpur district.
The students union asserted that the NDFB threatened the villagers by demanding extortion money from them.
During the blockade, road connectivity from Tezpur to Dhemaji district via Biswanath Chariali as well as from Dhemaji and Itanagar to Guwahati via Tezpur was totally disrupted.
AAGSU Sonitpur district committee secretary Gopal Chetry said the NDFB distributed extortion notes in the people in the Nepali dominated villages to provide Rs 50,000 or else leave the BTAD districts.
Chetry also claimed that the more than two lakh Gorkha population at Charduar, Balijuri, Tinikhuti, Vimajuli, Gohpur and Biswanath Chariali subdivisions were not feeling safe due to the extortion drive of the insurgent group.
The Union also demanded that the state government seize all illegal arms and stop the rampant extortion drive in the BTAD area as well as in Sonitpur district.
The protesters also submitted a memorandum to Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi through Sonitpur district deputy commissioner Tapan Chandra Sarma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town