Road blockade against NDFB extortion drive
Tezpur: Protesting against the extortion drive of militant National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB), the All Assam Gurkha Students Union on Saturday blocked the National Highway-52 in Assam`s Sonitpur district.
The protestors blocking the road at Baliphukhuri near Burigang demanded a halt to the rebel group`s extortion drive in four Gorkha-dominated districts of Bodoland Territoral Administrative Districts (BTAD) of Kokrajhar, Bongaigaon, Udalguri and Baksa, besides the northern part of neighbouring Sonitpur district.
The students union asserted that the NDFB threatened the villagers by demanding extortion money from them.
During the blockade, road connectivity from Tezpur to Dhemaji district via Biswanath Chariali as well as from Dhemaji and Itanagar to Guwahati via Tezpur was totally disrupted.
AAGSU Sonitpur district committee secretary Gopal Chetry said the NDFB distributed extortion notes in the people in the Nepali dominated villages to provide Rs 50,000 or else leave the BTAD districts.
Chetry also claimed that the more than two lakh Gorkha population at Charduar, Balijuri, Tinikhuti, Vimajuli, Gohpur and Biswanath Chariali subdivisions were not feeling safe due to the extortion drive of the insurgent group.
The Union also demanded that the state government seize all illegal arms and stop the rampant extortion drive in the BTAD area as well as in Sonitpur district.
The protesters also submitted a memorandum to Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi through Sonitpur district deputy commissioner Tapan Chandra Sarma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened