Road blockade against NDFB extortion drive
Tezpur: Protesting against the extortion drive of militant National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB), the All Assam Gurkha Students Union on Saturday blocked the National Highway-52 in Assam`s Sonitpur district.
The protestors blocking the road at Baliphukhuri near Burigang demanded a halt to the rebel group`s extortion drive in four Gorkha-dominated districts of Bodoland Territoral Administrative Districts (BTAD) of Kokrajhar, Bongaigaon, Udalguri and Baksa, besides the northern part of neighbouring Sonitpur district.
The students union asserted that the NDFB threatened the villagers by demanding extortion money from them.
During the blockade, road connectivity from Tezpur to Dhemaji district via Biswanath Chariali as well as from Dhemaji and Itanagar to Guwahati via Tezpur was totally disrupted.
AAGSU Sonitpur district committee secretary Gopal Chetry said the NDFB distributed extortion notes in the people in the Nepali dominated villages to provide Rs 50,000 or else leave the BTAD districts.
Chetry also claimed that the more than two lakh Gorkha population at Charduar, Balijuri, Tinikhuti, Vimajuli, Gohpur and Biswanath Chariali subdivisions were not feeling safe due to the extortion drive of the insurgent group.
The Union also demanded that the state government seize all illegal arms and stop the rampant extortion drive in the BTAD area as well as in Sonitpur district.
The protesters also submitted a memorandum to Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi through Sonitpur district deputy commissioner Tapan Chandra Sarma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Bank employees to go on strike on Friday, services to be hit
- Avg 49 days of employment generated in 2015-16 under MGNREGA: Govt
- Turkey`s post-coup purge: almost 16,000 detained, 50,000 fired
- Death sentences upheld for six Jamaatul Mujahideen Bangladesh militants in 2005 bombings
- Oh Air India! 11,000 flights rescheduled, 16,000 flights delayed till June 2016