Rumour mongering a major problem: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Friday said rumour mongering caused the exodus of many students and professionals from Assam and other states in the wake of violence between Bodo tribals and minority immigrants but assured that all steps would be taken for their security.
"I will appeal to those who have not fled to stay put. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and myself are in touch with the chief ministers of Karnataka and Maharashtra," Gogoi told PTI after chairing an all-party meeting here.
Thanking the Opposition parties for attending the meeting, he said a team comprising their members will very soon tour the trouble-torn areas.
"It is a welcome sight that all the political parties are of the view that peace should return. Enough is enough,Assam has faced lot of crisis but let`s go out of it," he said.
Gogoi announced that a four-member team had left for Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka to asses the situation and would be in touch with the respective governments.
"The fear psychosis and sense of insecurity should go and we will give protection to anybody who is feeling insecure," he said.
"Relief and rehabilitation measures are in full swing and illegal arms with miscreants will be seized. There are no fresh incidents as of now," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Clerics issue fatwa, make transgender marriage lawful in Pakistan
- Oil prices fall as Brexit lingers, refined products glut looms
- This Shiva temple in Pune built by Peshwa Nanasaheb is unique – Details inside
- Brexit consequence: British thaali may give Indian lady's finger a miss
- Ajay Devgn to star in Rohit Shetty's 'Golmaal 4'! Details inside