Rumour mongering a major problem: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Friday said rumour mongering caused the exodus of many students and professionals from Assam and other states in the wake of violence between Bodo tribals and minority immigrants but assured that all steps would be taken for their security.
"I will appeal to those who have not fled to stay put. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and myself are in touch with the chief ministers of Karnataka and Maharashtra," Gogoi told PTI after chairing an all-party meeting here.
Thanking the Opposition parties for attending the meeting, he said a team comprising their members will very soon tour the trouble-torn areas.
"It is a welcome sight that all the political parties are of the view that peace should return. Enough is enough,Assam has faced lot of crisis but let`s go out of it," he said.
Gogoi announced that a four-member team had left for Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka to asses the situation and would be in touch with the respective governments.
"The fear psychosis and sense of insecurity should go and we will give protection to anybody who is feeling insecure," he said.
"Relief and rehabilitation measures are in full swing and illegal arms with miscreants will be seized. There are no fresh incidents as of now," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured