Sanghamitra Bharali sentenced to four years in jail
Guwahati: Sanghamitra Bharali, a former assistant language officer in Assam legislative assembly, was on Wednesday sentenced to four years imprisonment by a special court here in a disproportionate assets case.
Special court judge M Mazed Ali also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh on Bharali.
The case against her was registered by the state vigilance and anti-corruption branch in 2001 but the charge sheet was filed only this February.
Bharali owns posh residential apartments in Mumbai and Guwahati, two cars and has also investments in the share market.
She was in the news after claiming that the then chief minister Prafulla Mahanta had married her in a secret ceremony at a temple in Mumbai in March 2001. Mahanta had denied her claim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray