Sanghamitra Bharali sentenced to four years in jail
Guwahati: Sanghamitra Bharali, a former assistant language officer in Assam legislative assembly, was on Wednesday sentenced to four years imprisonment by a special court here in a disproportionate assets case.
Special court judge M Mazed Ali also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh on Bharali.
The case against her was registered by the state vigilance and anti-corruption branch in 2001 but the charge sheet was filed only this February.
Bharali owns posh residential apartments in Mumbai and Guwahati, two cars and has also investments in the share market.
She was in the news after claiming that the then chief minister Prafulla Mahanta had married her in a secret ceremony at a temple in Mumbai in March 2001. Mahanta had denied her claim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why