Sanghamitra Bharali sentenced to four years in jail
Guwahati: Sanghamitra Bharali, a former assistant language officer in Assam legislative assembly, was on Wednesday sentenced to four years imprisonment by a special court here in a disproportionate assets case.
Special court judge M Mazed Ali also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh on Bharali.
The case against her was registered by the state vigilance and anti-corruption branch in 2001 but the charge sheet was filed only this February.
Bharali owns posh residential apartments in Mumbai and Guwahati, two cars and has also investments in the share market.
She was in the news after claiming that the then chief minister Prafulla Mahanta had married her in a secret ceremony at a temple in Mumbai in March 2001. Mahanta had denied her claim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Will meet Dayashankar's daughter on Sunday: Naik
- It's Giggs' Mumbai vs Solgado's Kochi in Premier Futsal final
- Two Maoists gunned down by security forces in Chhattisgarh
- 1 die, 3 injured as fire breaks out in highrise
- Tour de France 2016: Chris Froome on brink of 3rd title as Ion Izaguirre wins penultimate stage