Sanjoy Ghosh`s kidnap mastermind found dead in Majuli Island
Majuli: The body of ULFA(I) commandant, mastermind behind the abduction of social worker Sanjoy Ghosh, was recovered by police in upper Assam`s Majuli island, police said here on Thursday.
The body of the most wanted ULFA (Independent) self-styled commandant Rajib Das alias Pradip Baruah (49) was recovered from Sreeram Dawauri village under Garmur police station yesterday, Jorhat Superintendent of Police Sunjukta Parasor said here today.
The body was found in a jungle area by the local people who informed police about it, Parasor said.
Stating the cause of Das` death was not immediately known, she said post mortem on his body would reveal it.
After post mortem the body was handed over to his family members, police sources said.
Rajiv Das, wanted for several cases, was the main kingpin and mastermind behind the abduction and disappearance of Sanjoy Ghosh on July 4, 1997, the sources said.
The CBI had chargesheeted Rajiv Das along with three others - Phatik Hatimota (in jail), Mridul Hazarika and Anjan Borthakur (both dead).
The state police had announced an award of Rs two lakhs for giving specific information on the whereabouts of Rajiv, who was very close to ULFA C-in-C Paresh Baruah till his death.
According to intelligence inputs, Rajiv was active with ULFA (I), helped in collection of its extortion money and in fresh recruitment for the insurgent outfit from Majuli, Lakhimpur, Dhemaji, Dhakowakhana, Sibsagar, etc.
He had joined ULFA in 1990 and trained in now demolished ULFA camp at Gelephu in Bhutan and at Myanmar Camp II.
He was one of the faithful PSOs to ULFA ideologue late Bhim Kanta Buragohain and its `central Assam commander` late Robin Handique, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read