Section 144 imposed in Guwahati after Akhil arrest
Guwahati: The authorities on Friday imposed
Section 144 CrPC across this capital town soon after the
arrest of Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS) leader Akhil
Gogoi from the Press Club here this afternoon when he was
addressing a crowded press meet.
The move was aimed at preventing any untoward incident
following the arrest with his supporters converging in the Pan
Bazar police station where he was taken after arrest.
His slogan shouting supporters tried to stage
demonstration in front of the police station but the police
thwarted the attempt.
Gogoi`s wife Dr Gitashree Tamuly said, "Being an
activist, arrests are part of my husband`s life ...it is not a
big problem. He is ready to face any eventuality.
"The voice of the people could not be stifled by
arresting him. Many more voices would should come out to fight
injustice", she asserted.
Denying allegations that her husband had led the
violent demonstration at Dispur on Wednesday, she said Gogoi
had not instigated the people. "But since they had come out
under his leadership, he is morally responsible for it".
Tamuly said the situation would not have taken a
violent turn if high officials had met the protesters who she
claimed were Congress supporters.
Yesterday 10 cases were registered against Gogoi at
Dispur police station alleging that Wednesday`s violence and
arson in Dispur took place under his leadership.
Three persons were killed, 50 others injured, 170
private and public vehicles destroyed during the violence,
following a demonstration demanding land deed for government
land encroached upon by them.
Asked if she was allowed to meet Gogoi after his
arrest, Tamuly replied in the negative. "I saw him inside the
police station when two doctors were examining him".
Meanwhile, security around Guwahati Press Club has
been tighten as a precautionary measure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- 1% TCS on cash buy not to apply on embassies, UN bodies, Govt depts
- Rio Olympics: Pele congratulates Brazil on football gold
- Handful of vested interests inciting trouble in Kashmir: J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti
- Performance issues led to my ouster as Flipkart CEO, says Sachin Bansal
- 'Delhi earthquake today' trending on social media