Security alert sounded in Assam
Guwahati: Assam has been put on a general security alert in view of the threat by the anti-talk faction of ULFA to engage in subversive activities in the run-up to Independence Day celebrations.
"A general security alert has been sounded and security tightened throughout the state. Police pickets have been posted at vulnerable areas," Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) AP Rout said on Friday.
"The anti-talk faction of ULFA (headed by Paresh Baruah) is desperate to carry out subversive activities to show its presence but the police has sounded the alert to thwart such plans," he said.
Meanwhile, police said a few small groups of ULFA have managed to sneak into the state from their camps in Myanmar and some of other cadres are currently sheltered in Arunachal Pradesh`s Tirap, Changlang and Lohit districts and Mon district of Nagaland.
According to information available with the police, senior ULFA anti-talk faction leaders including Nayan Medhi and Rajiv Das are in Majuli River island and directing cadres in the region to plan subversive activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Curfew continues across Kashmir Valley as separatists extend shutdown till Monday
- France committed to leading Israel-Palestine talks: Hollande
- US sues Pennsylvania town for ban on building mosque
- Turkey temporarily suspends human rights convention after failed coup
- 'Don't abandon search for MH370,' plead families of victims