Security beefed up in Assam due to fresh ULFA threat
Guwahati: Security has been beefed up in Assam following a threat by the anti-talk faction of ULFA, a top ranking police officer said.
"We are aware of a letter from the anti talk faction of ULFA threatening subersive activities tomorrow and hence a security alert has been sounded", Assam IGP (law and order) LR Bishnoi told PTI here on Friday.
There is a general alert in upper Assam because of the fresh threat and a watch is being maintained in the all entry and exit point of major towns including Sibsagar, Jorhat, Dibrugarh and Tinsukia, he said.
Meanwhile, a hardcore ULFA ultra was killed in an encounter with the 12 Assam Rifles personnel at Namsai in the neighbouring state of Arunachal Pradesh, the police said here.
The identity of the militant was not yet known.
The ULFA`s anti talk faction led by elusive commander in chief Paresh Baruah has threatened subversive activties till October 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days