Security beefed up in Assam due to fresh ULFA threat
Guwahati: Security has been beefed up in Assam following a threat by the anti-talk faction of ULFA, a top ranking police officer said.
"We are aware of a letter from the anti talk faction of ULFA threatening subersive activities tomorrow and hence a security alert has been sounded", Assam IGP (law and order) LR Bishnoi told PTI here on Friday.
There is a general alert in upper Assam because of the fresh threat and a watch is being maintained in the all entry and exit point of major towns including Sibsagar, Jorhat, Dibrugarh and Tinsukia, he said.
Meanwhile, a hardcore ULFA ultra was killed in an encounter with the 12 Assam Rifles personnel at Namsai in the neighbouring state of Arunachal Pradesh, the police said here.
The identity of the militant was not yet known.
The ULFA`s anti talk faction led by elusive commander in chief Paresh Baruah has threatened subversive activties till October 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- West Indies vs India, 2nd T20I: Wet outfield denies MS Dhoni & Co chance to level series
- Two minors held for gang-raping minor in Delhi
- Punjab seeks probe into AAP funding by radicals
- One killed, 13 injured in mob-police clash in Bengal
- Odisha officials harassing man who carried wife's corpse: Complaint