Security beefed up in Assam due to fresh ULFA threat
Guwahati: Security has been beefed up in Assam following a threat by the anti-talk faction of ULFA, a top ranking police officer said.
"We are aware of a letter from the anti talk faction of ULFA threatening subersive activities tomorrow and hence a security alert has been sounded", Assam IGP (law and order) LR Bishnoi told PTI here on Friday.
There is a general alert in upper Assam because of the fresh threat and a watch is being maintained in the all entry and exit point of major towns including Sibsagar, Jorhat, Dibrugarh and Tinsukia, he said.
Meanwhile, a hardcore ULFA ultra was killed in an encounter with the 12 Assam Rifles personnel at Namsai in the neighbouring state of Arunachal Pradesh, the police said here.
The identity of the militant was not yet known.
The ULFA`s anti talk faction led by elusive commander in chief Paresh Baruah has threatened subversive activties till October 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur