Security beefed up in Assam on R-Day eve
Guwahati: Security has been tightened across Assam and an alert sounded on the eve of Republic Day following a boycott call by several militant outfits of the North East, including ULFA and NDFB.
The alert has been sounded in the state in view of intelligence reports that ULFA along with Maoists may carry out subversive activities, official sources said here today.
Patrolling has been intensified in sensitive areas and security beefed up around vital installations including oil and gas pipelines, railway tracks, railway stations, government offices and educational institutions.
The central function of the Republic Day will be held at the Veterinary College Ground at Khanapara here tomorrow where Governor J B Patnaik will take the salute.
Kamrup(Metro) district administration installed CCTV cameras in and around the parade ground to monitor the security arrangements.
In the run-up to the Republic Day, huge quantities of explosives and ammunitions, including an improvised explosive device IED) and uranium were recovered from Kamrup (Rural) district yesterday.
ULFA militants had lobbed a hand grenade at Kakopathar police station in Tinsukia district last evening but it did not explode.
Militants of the outfit had attacked Namtola police station and injured a policeman in Sibsagar district on Tuesday last.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy