Security beefed up in Assam on R-Day eve
Guwahati: Security has been tightened across Assam and an alert sounded on the eve of Republic Day following a boycott call by several militant outfits of the North East, including ULFA and NDFB.
The alert has been sounded in the state in view of intelligence reports that ULFA along with Maoists may carry out subversive activities, official sources said here today.
Patrolling has been intensified in sensitive areas and security beefed up around vital installations including oil and gas pipelines, railway tracks, railway stations, government offices and educational institutions.
The central function of the Republic Day will be held at the Veterinary College Ground at Khanapara here tomorrow where Governor J B Patnaik will take the salute.
Kamrup(Metro) district administration installed CCTV cameras in and around the parade ground to monitor the security arrangements.
In the run-up to the Republic Day, huge quantities of explosives and ammunitions, including an improvised explosive device IED) and uranium were recovered from Kamrup (Rural) district yesterday.
ULFA militants had lobbed a hand grenade at Kakopathar police station in Tinsukia district last evening but it did not explode.
Militants of the outfit had attacked Namtola police station and injured a policeman in Sibsagar district on Tuesday last.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another