Security stepped for Durga Puja in Guwahati
Guwahati: Security arrangements have been strengthened and operations against anti-social elements intensified in the run-up to the Durga Puja here later this month.
"We are working at various levels and have carried out risk assessments. We have told the state government about requirement of additional forces and like in last few years more forces will be deployed in city," Kamrup Metro Senior Superintendent of Police A P Tiwari said here.
The police have also intensified raids on anti-social elements and started picking them up.
"As part of our new community policing initiatives, we have got volunteers from various colleges who will be working with the police during the Durga Puja. The training and briefing of such civilian volunteers are on," Tiwari said.
He said operations have also been launched to tackle the problem of illicit liquor.
The police had earlier asked all committees organising Durga Puja this year to install CCTVs in pandals and take other security measures.
"The response to our request has been good and I believe at least 70-75 per cent of the Puja committees will undertake the steps requested by us," Tiwari said.
Asked about special steps against of militant groups, Tiwari said "For us, militants are also anti-socials and nuisance elements."
On an average, over 500 committees organise Durga Puja in Guwahati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Watch how you can keep your bookshelves neat and clean!
- Five health benefits of cashew nuts you didn't know about!
- Do you know how many ultra-high networth individuals India has? Make a guess
- Watch: When lightening struck iconic Empire State building in USA
- Human super predator more terrifying than bears, wolves