Senior pro-talk ULFA leader arrested for dacoity
Guwahati: A senior leader of ULFA`s pro-talk faction, Hira Sarania, was arrested from Nalbari town on charge of dacoity, the police said on Monday.
A special unit of Guwahati police nabbed Sarania and three others -- Sarfaraz Ali Nawaz, Pankaj Kalita and Pradip Choudhary -- for their alleged involvement in the dacoity.
Sarania is a senior leader of the Arabinda Rajkhowa faction of ULFA, which is currently engaged in peace talks with the Centre. Sarania joined ULFA in 1990 and at one point of time headed the dreaded 709 Battalion of the outfit, the sources said.
The four arrested persons allegedly involved in the dacoity at the house of Guwahati based businessman Rajen Lohiya on July 30 when Rs 38 lakh in cash were looted.
It was also suspected that the dacoits killed Lahoya`s employee Suresh Patil on the same day and his manager Vinit Jain on August two, but the bodies were not found yet.
Jain was also allegedly involved in the plot. But, following disagreement over share of the booty, Jain was murdered, the sources said.
The police were interrogating Sarania and his aides at the city`s Panbazar police station to find out what happened to Patil and Jain.
Two other accused in the case remain at large.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi