Serial blasts rock Assam on Independence Day, one injured
Bongaigaon/Guwahati: The anti-talk NDFB (Sangbijit) faction triggered serial blasts in Assam on the Independence Day today injuring one person in Kokrajhar district where it exploded two grenades and another one in neighbouring Chirang district.
At around 9.30 AM, the insurgent outfit simultaneously exploded two grenades at the G D Road mini bus stand and near the Bodoland Territorial Council office in Kokrajhar town, both close to the venue of the I-Day celebrations, the police said.
Bipul Brahma (45) was injured in the bus stand explosion and he has been admitted to a hospital, while no one was injured in the other blast near the BTC office.
Another unexploded bomb was recovered from there and it was was taken away by the bomb disposal squad.
In Chirang district`s Bongaigaon, a grenade was exploded today by the underground groups which lobbed the explosive at the All Minority Students Union office at Bagorgaon village under Bijni police station at around 8.45 AM, the sources said. None was injured.
The local people caught hold of the two motorcycle-borne ultras hurling the grenade, beat them up and handed them over to the police.
Yesterday on the eve of the Independence Day, the NDFB(S) exploded three grenades in Chirang district, but none was injured.
Two motorcycle-borne militants hurled a grenade at Chapaguri Chowk at around 8.40 AM and threw another grenade on a road under a bridge at Dumgaon under Runikhata police station at 12 noon.
The extremists threw yet another grenade near a gas agency at Batabori near Bijn town at 9 PM. None was injured.
Security measures were intensified after the NDFB(S) along with the ULFA (Independent) and four other Northeast underground outfits called for a boycott of the Independence Day celebrations and a general strike today in the entire region from 1:30 AM to 5:30 PM as a mark of protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?