Seven-member gang of rhino poachers nabbed
Jorhat: A gang of seven poachers active in Kaziranga National Park were nabbed along with arms and ammunition from Bokakhat area of Golaghat district in upper Assam, police sources said today.
Acting on a tip off, police launched an operation and nabbed the poachers from their ring leader Dibyajyoti Doley`s residence at Palashguri village of Bokakhat last night, the sources said.
Besides Doley, the other poachers have been identified as Pradip Pegu, Bisu Pegu, Bhabesh Pegu, Mohan Pegu, Atul Pegu and Jairam Mili.
Two 303 rifles with 8 rounds of live ammunition, one stengun with 6 rounds of ammunition, a silencer gun, three axes, four spears and food items were seized from them, the sources said.
Bisu Pegu was earlier convicted for poaching and was now out on bail, they said, adding, the six were planning fresh poaching activities to kill rhinos in Kaziranga National Park when they were nabbed.
This year around 13 rhinos have been killed by poachers in Kaziranga. Alarmed at the high rate of rhino killings the security forces and forest department has launched an operation against poachers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Jagdish Mukhi sworn in as Lt Guv of Andaman and Nicobar
- Over 55 students hospitalised after consuming food from college hostel in TN
- Sikh candidate's billboard painted with 'ISIS' in NZ
- Syria border region must be `cleansed` of ISIS jihadists: Turkey
- IGL net profit jumps 44% to Rs 148 crore in June quarter