SFI activists demand fast track court for rape-linked trials in Assam
Guwahati: Students Federation of India (SFI) activists took to streets of Guwahati on Tuesday to demand the setting up of fast track courts to try rape-linked cases.
It may be recalled that a primary school teacher in Dalgaon in Assam`s Darrang District was raped on October 1.
The secretary of the Assam unit of the SFI, Nitarth, said: "Women are not safe in Assam, and also in Guwahati. So, we organised this protest and are sending a memorandum to the government to set up a fast track court to settle such cases quickly."
Women actively took part in the demonstration and vented their ire over rising crimes and questioned the functioning of the state government.
Namrata Sharma, a SFI activist, said rape is very common in Assam, and women don`t feel safe at all.
She called on the public to wake up and the government to make development a priority.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview