SFI activists demand fast track court for rape-linked trials in Assam
Guwahati: Students Federation of India (SFI) activists took to streets of Guwahati on Tuesday to demand the setting up of fast track courts to try rape-linked cases.
It may be recalled that a primary school teacher in Dalgaon in Assam`s Darrang District was raped on October 1.
The secretary of the Assam unit of the SFI, Nitarth, said: "Women are not safe in Assam, and also in Guwahati. So, we organised this protest and are sending a memorandum to the government to set up a fast track court to settle such cases quickly."
Women actively took part in the demonstration and vented their ire over rising crimes and questioned the functioning of the state government.
Namrata Sharma, a SFI activist, said rape is very common in Assam, and women don`t feel safe at all.
She called on the public to wake up and the government to make development a priority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack