Silent invasion still on in Assam affecting demography: Sangma
Ranchi: Former Lok Sabha Speaker PA Sangma on Sunday alleged that demographic change was silently taking place in Assam and asked the people to be careful of the "silent invasion" in most tribal-dominated regions.
"According to the May 24, 1971 formula, Bangladesh nationals were to be identified and deported to that country. But 25 years have since been passed and Rs 400 crore spent, only a thousand Bangladeshis were identified and only one was deported from Assam," Sangma claimed while addressing a gathering here.
He said north-eastern states did not allow too much industrialisation because "outsiders" would come to seek jobs and then settle down, "changing the demography".
"Tribals are self-content about what they earn that is why Bangladeshis are working even for Rs 25 on daily wages, changing the demographic structure. But the structure should be maintained by being careful and aware of the silent invasion," he said.
Sangma, who during the day visited Nagri situated on the outskirts of Ranchi, said he would study the Nagri land dispute before taking up the issue.
The villagers of Nagri are protesting against government`s proposal to set up an education hub there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!