Silent invasion still on in Assam: Sangma
Ranchi: Former Lok Sabha Speaker P A Sangma on Sunday alleged that demographic change was silently taking place in Assam and asked the people to be careful of the "silent invasion" in most tribal-dominated regions.
"According to the May 24, 1971 formula, Bangladesh nationals were to be identified and deported to that country. But 25 years have since been passed and Rs 400 crore spent, only a thousand Bangladeshis were identified and only one was deported from Assam," Sangma claimed while addressing a gathering here.
He said north-eastern states did not allow too much industrialisation because "outsiders" would come to seek jobs and then settle down, "changing the demography".
"Tribals are self-content about what they earn that is why Bangladeshis are working even for Rs 25 on daily wages, changing the demographic structure. But the structure should be maintained by being careful and aware of the silent invasion," he said.
Sangma, who during the day visited Nagri situated on the outskirts of Ranchi, said he would study the Nagri land dispute before taking up the issue.
The villagers of Nagri are protesting against government`s proposal to set up an education hub there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'