Situation calm in Dhubri, curfew relaxed for two hours
Dhubri (Assam): Situation in the communally sensitive Dhubri district remained calm Monday and curfew was relaxed for two hours between 12 noon and 2 pm today.
Assam IGP (Law & Order) L R Bishnoi visited Dhubri town and assured action against anybody found to be involved in "rumour mongering".
Dhubri had witnessed two rounds of clashes between members of two religious communities on September 8 after a place of worship was vandalised and looted by unidentified miscreants.
"There is no reason for any fear. We have deployed adequate forces including police, CRPF and Rapid Action Force," Bishnoi told reporters here after touring sensitive localities.
"There have been incidents of rumour mongering by anti-social elements and anybody found guilty of such things would be dealt with sternly," he warned.
Bishnoi also asked the local people to maintain peace and communal harmony.
The district administration had last night issued shot-at-sight orders after a house was set on fire at the Indira Gandhi road locality here.
No new incidents were reported from any part of the district today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda