Situation calm in Dhubri, curfew relaxed for two hours
Dhubri (Assam): Situation in the communally sensitive Dhubri district remained calm Monday and curfew was relaxed for two hours between 12 noon and 2 pm today.
Assam IGP (Law & Order) L R Bishnoi visited Dhubri town and assured action against anybody found to be involved in "rumour mongering".
Dhubri had witnessed two rounds of clashes between members of two religious communities on September 8 after a place of worship was vandalised and looted by unidentified miscreants.
"There is no reason for any fear. We have deployed adequate forces including police, CRPF and Rapid Action Force," Bishnoi told reporters here after touring sensitive localities.
"There have been incidents of rumour mongering by anti-social elements and anybody found guilty of such things would be dealt with sternly," he warned.
Bishnoi also asked the local people to maintain peace and communal harmony.
The district administration had last night issued shot-at-sight orders after a house was set on fire at the Indira Gandhi road locality here.
No new incidents were reported from any part of the district today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PHOTO: After KKR's loss vs SRH, Shah Rukh Khan Tweets heart-wrenching image of cheerleaders crying
- Kardashians offered USD 100 million movie deal?
- Supreme Court to hear Italian government's plea on marine today
- Aww! Nargis Fakhri is missing THESE guys and gals
- Online application process for NEET II from today. Check www.aipmt.nic.in