Situation in Dhubri town of Assam
Dhubri: Situation in Dhubri town of lower Assam remained calm on Sunday with no fresh incidents of violence, while curfew was relaxed in the town for 12 hours between 5 am and 5 pm.
Official sources said security forces are deployed at all major locations and sensitive areas, and Army conducted flag-marches at many places.
Around 500 women of the IG Road area of Dhubri staged a peaceful dharna before the Dhubri police station this morning to protest against the detention of five youths late last night who had been picked up on the suspicion of being involved in the violence.
Police also seized a few gallons of kerosene near a tea shop at the main market in Dhubri this morning.
Locals said a group was trying to set fire to some shops last night when locals noticed them.
Curfew was imposed on Thursday night at 9:00 pm following a clash in which three persons were injured when a group of people were returning after immersing the idol of Goddess Durga in the Brahmaputra.
Curfew was also imposed earlier on Wednesday for 12 hours following clashes after the stabbing of a Durga Puja pandal decorator in IG Road area on Tuesday night.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read