Situation limping back to normal in Assam
Kokrajhar: The situation in Bodoland Territorial Area districts and Dhubri in Assam, hit by violence between Bodos and minority immigrants, is slowly limping back to normal.
There was no fresh incident today with the army staging flag marches and Assam Police and paramilitary forces on patrol in all the five affected districts, official sources said.
"The situation is under control but close monitoring and strict vigil are being maintained," the sources said.
Curfew was relaxed in worst-hit Kokrajhar district from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm, while in Dhubri it was relaxed from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm with night curfew in force in Chirang.
The violence since July 22 has claimed 50 lives so far, including six killed in police firing, while 57 have been injured and ten others are missing, police sources said.
At least 150 people have been arrested.
The Centre has sent 65 companies of paramilitary forces for deployment in the affected districts.
Four lakh people have fled their homes and taken shelter in 270 relief camps set up by the government.
Relief material, including baby food, along with health-care and sanitation facilities are being provided to refugees in camps.
Peace committees from all sections of ethnic groups have been formed for confidence building among the affected people, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic