Situation limping back to normal in Assam
Kokrajhar: The situation in Bodoland Territorial Area districts and Dhubri in Assam, hit by violence between Bodos and minority immigrants, is slowly limping back to normal.
There was no fresh incident today with the army staging flag marches and Assam Police and paramilitary forces on patrol in all the five affected districts, official sources said.
"The situation is under control but close monitoring and strict vigil are being maintained," the sources said.
Curfew was relaxed in worst-hit Kokrajhar district from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm, while in Dhubri it was relaxed from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm with night curfew in force in Chirang.
The violence since July 22 has claimed 50 lives so far, including six killed in police firing, while 57 have been injured and ten others are missing, police sources said.
At least 150 people have been arrested.
The Centre has sent 65 companies of paramilitary forces for deployment in the affected districts.
Four lakh people have fled their homes and taken shelter in 270 relief camps set up by the government.
Relief material, including baby food, along with health-care and sanitation facilities are being provided to refugees in camps.
Peace committees from all sections of ethnic groups have been formed for confidence building among the affected people, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray