Six militant outfits active in Assam
Guwahati: Six militant outfits, including anti-talk ULFA (Independent) and NDFB (Songbijit), are active in Assam with a cadre strength of 760, Forest minister Rockybul Hussain said on Monday.
In a verbal reply to Phanibhusan Choudhury (AGP) in the Assembly, Hussain answering on behalf of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, also in charge of Home, said the other outfits are Karbi People`s Liberation Tiger, Kamatapur Liberation Organisation, Muslim United Liberation Tigers of Assam and Harkat Ul Mujahiddin (Assam unit).
The NDFB(S) has the highest number of cadre at 300, followed by ULFA(I) 240, KLO 100, and MULTA and Harkat Ul have 40 each, he said.
Altogether 15 underground groups were on ceasefire agreement with the government and their cadres were staying in designated camps across the state, the minister said.
These are ULFA (Pro talk faction led by Arabinda Rajkhowa), NDFB (Progressive), Karbi Longri N C Hills Liberation Front, Adivasi Cobra Liberation front of Assam, Birsa Commando Force, Kuki Revolutionary Army (Assam), United Kukigam Defence Army, All Adivasi National LIberation Army, Santhal Tigers Force, Adivasi People`s Army, Kuki Liberation Organisation/Kuki Liberation Army, Hmar Peoples Convention (Democratic) and NDFB (Ranjan).
Six new extremist organisations were also formed and they are Karbi National Liberation Army, United Peoples Liberation Front, Dima Halom Daoga (Action), Dima Jadi Naiso Army, National Liberation Front of Bengali and United Dimasa Kachari Liberation Front.
The government has held several rounds of meetings with the pro-talk groups since 2005 either in Guwahati or Delhi, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her