Six militant outfits active in Assam
Guwahati: Six militant outfits, including anti-talk ULFA (Independent) and NDFB (Songbijit), are active in Assam with a cadre strength of 760, Forest minister Rockybul Hussain said on Monday.
In a verbal reply to Phanibhusan Choudhury (AGP) in the Assembly, Hussain answering on behalf of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, also in charge of Home, said the other outfits are Karbi People`s Liberation Tiger, Kamatapur Liberation Organisation, Muslim United Liberation Tigers of Assam and Harkat Ul Mujahiddin (Assam unit).
The NDFB(S) has the highest number of cadre at 300, followed by ULFA(I) 240, KLO 100, and MULTA and Harkat Ul have 40 each, he said.
Altogether 15 underground groups were on ceasefire agreement with the government and their cadres were staying in designated camps across the state, the minister said.
These are ULFA (Pro talk faction led by Arabinda Rajkhowa), NDFB (Progressive), Karbi Longri N C Hills Liberation Front, Adivasi Cobra Liberation front of Assam, Birsa Commando Force, Kuki Revolutionary Army (Assam), United Kukigam Defence Army, All Adivasi National LIberation Army, Santhal Tigers Force, Adivasi People`s Army, Kuki Liberation Organisation/Kuki Liberation Army, Hmar Peoples Convention (Democratic) and NDFB (Ranjan).
Six new extremist organisations were also formed and they are Karbi National Liberation Army, United Peoples Liberation Front, Dima Halom Daoga (Action), Dima Jadi Naiso Army, National Liberation Front of Bengali and United Dimasa Kachari Liberation Front.
The government has held several rounds of meetings with the pro-talk groups since 2005 either in Guwahati or Delhi, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India