Six policemen injured in mob attack
Jagiroad (Assam): Six police personnel were in an attack by a mob on Jarigoad police station in Assam`s Morigaon district, police said on Saturday.
Trouble began late last night after anti-social elements created disturbances over elopement and marriage of a couple.
The couple were picked up by the police when the girl`s mother filed a complaint with the police against the groom.
People alleged that no lady police personnel was present when the couple were picked up.
A mob soon gathered at the spot and pelted stones at the police station damaging the building and injuring six of the policemen, two of them seriously.
The mob also blocked NH 37 causing a traffic snarl.
Police had to resort to lathicharge, burst teargas shells and fire several rounds in the air to disperse the crowd.
The situation in the area in now under control and additional forces have been deployed in the area.
Meanwhile, six persons have been arrested for their involvement in the incident.
The Morigaom district magistrate promulagted Section 144 CrPC, prohibiting any meeting or assembly in Jagiroad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?