Six policemen injured in mob attack
Jagiroad (Assam): Six police personnel were in an attack by a mob on Jarigoad police station in Assam`s Morigaon district, police said on Saturday.
Trouble began late last night after anti-social elements created disturbances over elopement and marriage of a couple.
The couple were picked up by the police when the girl`s mother filed a complaint with the police against the groom.
People alleged that no lady police personnel was present when the couple were picked up.
A mob soon gathered at the spot and pelted stones at the police station damaging the building and injuring six of the policemen, two of them seriously.
The mob also blocked NH 37 causing a traffic snarl.
Police had to resort to lathicharge, burst teargas shells and fire several rounds in the air to disperse the crowd.
The situation in the area in now under control and additional forces have been deployed in the area.
Meanwhile, six persons have been arrested for their involvement in the incident.
The Morigaom district magistrate promulagted Section 144 CrPC, prohibiting any meeting or assembly in Jagiroad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding