Slogan-shouting against Chidambaram in Dhubri
Dhubri (Assam): Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Tuesday faced slogan-shouting refugees at one of the three camps he visited in Dhubri district, which had witnessed ethnic violence.
Chidambaram, who left for Dhubri early morning on Tuesday from Guwahati in a special chopper and landed at the Panbari BSF camp, visited two other camps - Borkanda and Takimari.
In Lakhiganj, the refugees shouted slogans against the administration and demanded that the government act fast to confiscate arms of the former Bodo Liberation Tiger militants.
They also alleged that basic facilities like healthcare were inadequate in the camps.
The Home Minister told the inmates, "All help will be provided to the people here and the government will also take care of their security."
The Home Minister, who arrived in Guwahati yesterday, is on a two-day trip to the lower Assam districts where violence between minority immigrants and Bodo tribals have claimed 56 lives.
He was accompanied by Assam Environment and Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain.
Yesterday, he had visited Kokrajhar and Chirang districts, before returning to Guwahati in the evening where he held a meeting with senior ministers and state government officials.
He is scheduled to fly back to New Delhi later today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid