Small tea grower kidnapped in Assam
Jaishidhi: A small tea grower was kidnapped on Friday by suspected NDFB (Ronjan) militants from Jaishidhi in Assam`s Sonitpur district bordering Arunchal Pradesh.
The tea planter, Bhadreswar Nath (45), was abducted when he was working in his tea garden about one km away from his residence, police said.
Nath`s family said he went to his tea garden on a motor bike at around 8 am and when he was supervising the plucking of tea leaves in the garden, two youths on a motorbike whisked him away.
Over 500 people from nearby villages gathered near Jaishidhi high school and shouted slogans against the militants and demanded Nath`s immediate release.
Police said Nath was abducted by the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (Ronjan) faction and the kidnappers were associated with dreaded militant B Boko involved in the assassination of noted tea planter Adilur Rahman on November 13 last year.
District Superintendent of Police Arabinda Kalita said a vigorous search operation was launched by police and army in the bordering areas to rescue Nath.
Meanwhile, Sonitpur District Small Tea Growers Association has condemned Nath`s kidnap and urged the militant group to release him immediately.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch