Social crimes should get top priority
Karimganj (Assam): The disturbing trend of social crimes across the country as manifested in violence against women has been a cause of grave concern and while women are subjected to the worst type of brutality, there has also been growing instances of abuse against children.
This was the focus of discussion during a 10-day course on research methodology and computer applications organized by the Department of Education, Assam University, and the Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) which started in Silchar yesterday.
"Social crimes and ethical issues in research should remain top priorities before the social scientists," Assam University Vice Chancellor Somnath Dasgupta said during his inaugural speech.
He pointed out that degradation of values in contemporary society has brought into focus a situation where "we are witnessing inhuman phenomena."
"Through our research efforts in multi-dimensional interdisciplinary studies, we should try to seek remedies of those social problems as far as possible," Dasgupta said.
The event was attended by eminent scholars from across the country including K P Pandey, former Vice Chancellor of Mahatma Gandhi Kashi Vidyapeeth, Varanasi, Indira Shukla from Gokhale Institute of Education and Research, Mumbai, among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FBI probes Democratic email hack, but is Russia to blame?
- Florida shooting: Three taken into custody, more suspects sought
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic