Society should introspect to prevent crime against women: Prez
Silchar (Assam): Underscoring the need for society to introspect and find ways to prevent crimes against women, President Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday exhorted universities to meet the requirements of moral challenges faced by society.
Addressing the 13th Annual Convocation of Assam University here, he also expressed concerns over the inadequacies in the education sector to cater to a large population.
"The increase in cases of crime against women and children calls for effective steps to ensure their safety and security. It also underscores the need for society to introspect and find ways to arrest the moral decline," Mukherjee said.
He exhorted universities to take efforts to meet the requirements of moral challenges faced by society.
"It is for our universities and other institutes of higher learning to initiate a movement to meet the moral challenges and ensure that our civilisational values are once again reiterated," he said.
The President also noted the fundamental role played by education in development of society and the nation.
"If our country has to continue on its path of higher growth, then the relentless pursuit of higher educational standards is an indispensable requirement for its achievement," he said.
The President said during the 11th Five Year Plan, 65 new central institutions, including 21 central universities, were started and the number of central institutions increased by about 75 per cent.
But he noted that the "phenomenal growth is still inadequate to cater to the demand for higher education in the country."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok