Society should introspect to prevent crime against women: Prez
Silchar (Assam): Underscoring the need for society to introspect and find ways to prevent crimes against women, President Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday exhorted universities to meet the requirements of moral challenges faced by society.
Addressing the 13th Annual Convocation of Assam University here, he also expressed concerns over the inadequacies in the education sector to cater to a large population.
"The increase in cases of crime against women and children calls for effective steps to ensure their safety and security. It also underscores the need for society to introspect and find ways to arrest the moral decline," Mukherjee said.
He exhorted universities to take efforts to meet the requirements of moral challenges faced by society.
"It is for our universities and other institutes of higher learning to initiate a movement to meet the moral challenges and ensure that our civilisational values are once again reiterated," he said.
The President also noted the fundamental role played by education in development of society and the nation.
"If our country has to continue on its path of higher growth, then the relentless pursuit of higher educational standards is an indispensable requirement for its achievement," he said.
The President said during the 11th Five Year Plan, 65 new central institutions, including 21 central universities, were started and the number of central institutions increased by about 75 per cent.
But he noted that the "phenomenal growth is still inadequate to cater to the demand for higher education in the country."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble