Solve Assam`s problems before polls: AASU to political parties
Guwahati: The All Assam Students Union (AASU) on Tuesday demanded that the political parties should work out a time-bound action plan on various problematic issues in the state before the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
The influential student`s body demanded a solution to the illegal migration from Bangladesh, implementation of the Assam Accord, constitutional protection for the indigenous people, solution in the perennial flood issue, erosion problem and protection of Majuli Island and scheduled tribe status to six ethnic groups.
They also demanded right over land and natural resources for indigenous people, land ownership deeds to small tea and rubber planters, protection of the 15th century Satras (monasteries) of socio-cultural-religious reformer Srimanta Sankardeb, stopping construction of big dams in earthquake prone zones.
The AASU also asked political parties to spell out their stand on declaration of the northeast region as special employment and economic zones to solve unemployment problem.
Setting up higher education institutions such as IIM and Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), inclusion of topics on Srimanta Sankardeb, Assam`s role in the Independence movement, the state`s history, geography, culture in the NCERT syllabus were some of the AASU`s demands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje