Sporadic incidents in Assam`s Goalpara district
Goalpara: A panchayat office, school, bridge and a CRPF resting shed have been set ablaze in Assam`s Goalpara district, two days before the final phase of panchayat polls in the state.
Miscreants burnt a village panchayat office adjacent to Rongsai police outpost last night, the police said.
They torched a primary school at Borpathar and set afire a wooden bridge on the Ambarti-Khekapara PWD road in the early hours halting movement of traffic, they said.
A temporary shed set up for CRPF personnel to rest at Khardang, along the Assam- Meghayala border, was burnt down when the paramilitary force men were away on patrolling duty, the police said.
Police has rushed to the troubled spots and health minister Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma, campaigning in the district for the panchayat polls, has appealed to people to maintain peace and the culprits to abjure violence.
All Rabha Students` Union (ARSU) and some organisations representing the Rabha community have resorted to widespread protests in the district since last month opposing the holding of panchayat elections in the Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council (RHAC) areas.
They are seeking complete withdrawal of panchayat election from villages within the RHAC and instead hold the council polls before the panchayat elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report