Stop bandhs, blockades or face strict action: Tarun Gogoi
Guwahati: Ahead of his meeting with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on separate statehood demands by a number of groups in Assam, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Sunday warned of strong action against shut downs and blockades.
Gogoi left for New Delhi during the day and is expected to meet Congress President and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, besides Singh to discuss the separate statehood issue.
The state has been witnessing violent protests and bandhs affecting normal life in at least six districts since the Centre`s announcement on Telangana.
"I have appealed to everyone many times to stop bandhs, but it is still continuing. If bandhs and blockades continue like this, then we will have to take strict steps.
"We are talking to them (agitators) and we are for a peaceful solution. For any progress in the positive direction, violence has to be stopped," Gogoi told reporters after launching a new website for Assam Public Service Commission here.
About his proposed meeting with Singh, who is also the Rajya Sabha MP from Assam, Gogoi said "I am going to Delhi today and will meet the Prime Minister. I will definitely let him know about the demands. I will also try to meet Sonia Gandhi to discuss the issues related to demands of separate states."
Asked to comment on the demands by various groups to organise tripartite meetings between the agitators, state and Central governments, the chief minister said: "I am hopeful of arranging a tripartite meeting."
The agitators have threatened to hold more bandhs and economic blockades of up to 1,500 hours if their demands of organising tripartite meetings for creation of separate states are not met before Independence Day.
Gogoi held a meeting with Joint Action Committee for
Autonomous State(JACAS) of Karbi Anglong on its statehood demand hours before leaving for the national capital.
After the meeting, JACAS leaders said the discussions were "neither satisfactory nor negative".
It demanded that the government release all leaders, arrested since violence erupted in the district after the declaration on Telangana last month, the JACAS leaders added.
In Bodoland Territorial Areas District, All Bodo Students Union organised a bicycle rally pressing for their demand to create a separate state.
The Telangana announcement had brought to the fore the demands of four ethnic groups for separate states carved out of Assam.
Agitations have been launched by Bodos, Karbis, Dimasas and Koch-Rajbongshis and the situation had turned violent in Karbi Anglong.
Gogoi had last week rejected statehood demands and said all ethnic groups should stay united.
"I am not going to divide Assam. We all need to live together. Stop bandh culture and go for work culture," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'