Stress on emergency management in Assam
Guwahati: A week-long preparedness exercise on emergency management was inaugurated here on Monday which is designed to harness the strengths and capabilities of the state emergency responders and other institutions to meet urban catastrophy.
Speaking during the inauguration of the event here, Assam Revenue and Disaster Management minister said that the state was velnerable to multiple hazards like earthquakes, floods, storms and landslides.
"Rapid urbanisation and unplanned construction has turned the fate of the people of Guwahati very vulnerable. In this regard, the programme will teach us how much prepared or less prepared we are for facing any eventuality," he said.
The Guwahati Emergency Management Exercise (GEMEx 2012) is being conducted by Assam State Disaster Management Authority in collaboration with National Disaster Management Authority and District Disaster Management Authority of Kamrup (Metro) district. It will culminate on November 4.
The programme is being held in Guwahati after Mumbai and Chennai. It is designed to harness the strengths and capabilities of the state emergency responders, educational institutions, hospitals, humanitarian agencies to prepare for unforeseen situations.
Speaking on the occasion, NMDA member Muzaffar Ahmad said that Assam was the first state to launch 108 as the one common integrated emergency helpline number in the country.
"Such a one point crisis response helpline is the first ever launched in the country," he said, adding that the GEMEx 2012 would be beneficial for building of resilience and preparedness of Guwahati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Kabir Khan shares pic of stunning location where Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will begin
- Israeli woman gang-raped in Manali, probe launched
- New protein gives new hope for Alzheimer's cure!
- Android users can now enjoy Prisma app!
- Another setback! Case filed against AAP workers for preventing emergency vehicle's movement