Stress on emergency management in Assam
Guwahati: A week-long preparedness exercise on emergency management was inaugurated here on Monday which is designed to harness the strengths and capabilities of the state emergency responders and other institutions to meet urban catastrophy.
Speaking during the inauguration of the event here, Assam Revenue and Disaster Management minister said that the state was velnerable to multiple hazards like earthquakes, floods, storms and landslides.
"Rapid urbanisation and unplanned construction has turned the fate of the people of Guwahati very vulnerable. In this regard, the programme will teach us how much prepared or less prepared we are for facing any eventuality," he said.
The Guwahati Emergency Management Exercise (GEMEx 2012) is being conducted by Assam State Disaster Management Authority in collaboration with National Disaster Management Authority and District Disaster Management Authority of Kamrup (Metro) district. It will culminate on November 4.
The programme is being held in Guwahati after Mumbai and Chennai. It is designed to harness the strengths and capabilities of the state emergency responders, educational institutions, hospitals, humanitarian agencies to prepare for unforeseen situations.
Speaking on the occasion, NMDA member Muzaffar Ahmad said that Assam was the first state to launch 108 as the one common integrated emergency helpline number in the country.
"Such a one point crisis response helpline is the first ever launched in the country," he said, adding that the GEMEx 2012 would be beneficial for building of resilience and preparedness of Guwahati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why