Summer vacations in troubled Assam districts extended
Kokrajhar: With refugee camps set up in educational institutions in troubled Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri districts in Assam, summer vacations were extended for another week on Wednesday.
"The summer vacation of educational institutions have been extended by seven more days which could be extended further, if needed," Education and Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said.
"We will, however, make efforts to vacate educational institutions and shift refugees to some other place like clubs and community halls," he said.
For students displaced in the violence free text books and education materials will be provided, the minister said.
He said that doctors and para medical teams from medical colleges with medicines were checking refugees in camps.
The minister also directed the local authorities to list the number of children and pregnant women in relief camps for special care, if needed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened