New Delhi: Taking responsibility for the spiralling violence in Assam, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi assured that the situation would soon get back to normal.
“I take the full responsibility for the violence in Assam,” the CM said while talking to a television channel on Tuesday.
However, he also slammed the media for only highlighting the negative aspects of his state. “The media does not report when development work takes place in the region,” he lamented.
Meanwhile, security forces today shot dead four miscreants in Assam, taking the death toll in communal violence raging in two districts to 25, authorities said.
An indefinite curfew remains in force in both Kokrajhar and Chirang districts.
Inspector General of Polkice S.N. Singh said that 16 people had been killed in Kokrajhar district since July 19, when the trouble erupted.
Five were were killed in Chirang district. "Four miscreants were gunned down by police in Kokrajhar today, taking the total death toll to 25," the officer said.
He said the situation in the region was tense, and added that additional security forces had arrived in the two districts.
According to official sources, the violence started after gunmen attacked two student leaders in Magurbari Thursday. Following this, four former Bodo militants were shot dead Friday.
The violence has also spread to Dhubri district bordering Bangladesh. Police opened blank fire Tuesday to contain unrest.
With IANS inputs