Take initiative to make Dibrugarh World`s Tea City: Rahul Gandhi to Assam CM
Chaulkhowa: Assam Tea must be branded internationally with focus to promote Dibrugarh as the World`s Tea City, Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi said here on Thursday.
"Dibrugarh is currently known as Tea City of India, but this is not enough. Now the focus should be to make it the World`s Tea city," Gandhi told an election rally here.
He urged Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi to take the initiative to promote Dibrugarh as a tea centre of international repute with Assam Tea being given the status it deserves.
"Not India alone, but the world should drink Dibrugarh`s tea and Assam Tea should be established as an international brand," he said.
The Congress government had taken initiatives for the welfare and development of tea garden workers, providing education to their children, cycles to girls, and was committed to give ST status to tea tribes, Gandhi said.
He said two projects in Dibrugarh -- Brahmaputra Cracker and Polymer Limited (BCPL) and Bogibeel bridge -- would significantly transform the economy of the district.
Gandhi said 90 per cent work of BCPL was complete and it would be soon completed
while work on the Bogibeel bridge had begun.
"Dibrugarh is a beautiful place blessed with tea gardens and also has the oil industry which has helped in improving the economy of the area," he said.
The Dibrugarh Town Protection Dyke was being constructed to lessen the hardship of people from floods, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi