Take strict action in molestation case: Congress
New Delhi: Taking a serious view of the molestation incident in party-ruled Assam, Congress on Friday asked the Tarun Gogoi government to ensure strict punishment for the perpetrators.
"Whatever has happened in Assam is unfortunate. I condemn the incident. We have full hope that the persons responsible for the incident will get strict punishment," Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi told reporters here.
Pointing out that Congress ruled in Assam, Alvi said it was such an incident that everybody should rise over politics and condemn it.
The Assam State Commission for Women has already taken suo motu cognisance of the incident that took place on Monday night outside a bar in Guwahati.
The Congress high command has also taken a serious view of the matter and a team of the party`s Mahila Morcha from New Delhi is scheduled to visit Guwahati soon to review the matter, party sources said.
Activists and politicians have strongly condemned the molestation incident in Guwahati which took place when the victim was returning from a get-together, saying every woman has a right to party and demanding strong action against the culprits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?