Tarun Gogoi blasts Opposition, will bring out white paper
Guwahati: Criticising the opposition Asom Gana Parishad and BJP over recent attacks on the Congress government in Assam, state Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Monday said his government will bring out a white paper highlighting the performance of his regime and of previous ones.
"Yesterday AGP leader Prafulla Kumar Mahanta said that Congress government in Assam has failed in all fronts. We will go to public and release a white paper giving details of what our government has done in last 11 years in all fields and what the previous AGP regimes did," Gogoi said here.
Claiming that his government has carried out much more development activities, Gogoi said the AGP leader was trying to divert people`s attention of the failures of the two terms when Mahanta was the CM.
"I accept that in some areas I have failed. I have failed because during my time there has been no secret killings in Assam, in my time teachers have not resorted to strikes over non-payment of salary and I have not ordered arrest of senior journalists for what they are writing," the Chief Minister said in a lighter note.
Asked about AGP leader Mahanta`s call to mobilise people against the government, Gogoi said: "We welcome it. In democracy the opposition should be strong".
Regarding Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s tweets about the foreigners issue in Assam, Gogoi said "it is an insult to the whole country and Assam".
He added: "We will allow foreigners to be king makers. The people of Assam will not allow illegal immigrants to be king makers".
"If Modi believes that everybody in Assam is an illegal immigrant that means his party`s MLAs and MPs in the state also won polls on the support of illegal immigrants. Modi does not care about illegal immigration," the chief minister said.
"He wants immigrants to stay here so that BJP can raise the matter during elections," Gogoi said.
Gogoi went further and said the NDA regime in Centre between 1998 and 2004 did nothing to solve the issue of illegal immigrants.
"In fact, they talk of giving work permits to Bangladeshis. We oppose such things and we are working for detection and deportation of foreigners," he said.
Gogoi said opposition parties are only harping on the issue of illegal immigrants while remaining mum on matters related to economic development, employment generation and poverty alleviation.
"Facts and figures do not support their contention regarding the enormity of the problem of illegal immigrants," the Chief Minister said.
Regarding the plan to bring out a white paper on the detection and deportation of illegal immigrants, Gogoi said it would be ready by October 20.
"We had originally announced that it will be released today. But for some reasons it has been postponed and we will place it before the state Cabinet tomorrow," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you