Tarun Gogoi prays for peace in Assam
Guwahati: Offering his prayers to Goddess Durga, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi wished for peace, progress and development of the state on the occasion of Maha Ashtami on Monday.
"The state has passed through difficult times in recent months. We pray to Ma Durga that the time of tribulations are over and Assam has peace, unity, progress and development in the days to come," Gogoi said here after offering his prayers.
He said that besides the recent ethnic violence in parts of lower Assam, the state also suffered serious loss due to the three waves of floods.
"Things are now returning to normalcy. The weather has also improved," Gogoi, who was accompanied by wife Dolly, said.
The Chief Minister claimed that people of Assam were celebrating Durga Puja with even more zeal this year as compared to the past due to improvement in their standard of living.
"This shows that economic development is taking place and the standard of life of citizens has improved. People are enjoying the festive spirit and this is necessary for the well being of the society," he said.
However, Gogoi added "At the same time, we realise that many people became destitute in the state. Our priority will be to provide succour to them."
He visited puja pandals at Kalibari, Maligaon, Kumarpara and Harisabha, Panbazar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites