Tarun Gogoi to resign if Congress wins less than seven seats in Assam
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Saturday said he will resign from his post if the Congress wins less than seven of the 14 Lok Sahba seats in Assam.
"I am confident, we will win more than the existing seven seats. I will resign if we win less than seven seats", Gogoi told reporters at a press meet here today.
On being pointed out that his offer to resign was a serious matter, the Chief Minister said, "Tarun Gogoi is not afraid as we will win. What am I scared of? "
Asked if Congress would have a poll alliance in the state with the All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF), which is a UPA partner, he said, "I won`t propose but if AICC does, then I am bound by it".
Accusing the BJP of helping AIUDF during the last elections, Gogoi asked, "They have love for (AIUDF chief Badruddin) Ajmal and do not criticise him only. They have secret understanding and are in talks also today".
On his son Gaurav Gogoi being nominated for the Kaliabar Lok Sabha seat currently represented by his brother Dip Gogoi, the Chief Minister said, "till now no decision has been taken on the name".
"Only the media is trying to create a rift in my family but we have an understanding within our family. The relationship between the nephew (Gaurav Gogoi) and uncle (Dip Gogoi) will not be affected by all this", Gogoi asserted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read