Tarun Gogoi urges Centre to set up mechanism on infiltration
Guwahati: A day after President Pranab Mukherjee emphasised on resolving the illegal immigration issue in the Northeast on a priority basis, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi requested the Centre to develop a mechanism to go about the task.
"Illegal infiltration is there and it is an important issue. I appreciate that the President spoke about solving the issue on priority. I request the NDA government to develop a mechanism to prevent, detect and deport illegal Bangladeshis," Gogoi said in a press conference.
The President in his address to the joint sitting of Parliament had said: "The issue of infiltration and illegal immigrants in the North East region will be tackled on priority and all pending fencing work along the North East border will be completed."
However, Gogoi felt that that unemployment was the most important problem for Assam.
"For me, unemployment is the number one problem. It is the most important issue of the state," Gogoi said in a press conference here.
Gogoi said that the state government along with the Centre during the UPA tenure had taken many steps to stop infiltration across the border.
The Chief Minister said the state government had sought a special package for the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises sector to create employment in Assam.
"As scope is very limited in skill development, so we have to create jobs through the MSME sector. In the meeting with the Union Finance Minister yesterday, we sought a special package for the sector," he added.
Gogoi also said the state government has requested the Centre to release the royalty payment for crude oil drilled in Assam by PSUs like Oil India and ONGC.
"Since 2008, the companies are paying us discounted royalty. This has resulted in a loss of Rs 10,000 crore to the state exchequer. This was the same case with Gujarat also. However, they filed a case in the Supreme Court and won. So, we now hope to get the money soon," he pointed out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Two more arrested over links with Nice attacker
- Rajinikanth thanks fans for 'Kabali' success with THIS sweetest gesture! - Details inside
- Delhi court bails out Kejriwal ex-aide Rajendra Kumar
- ASUS ZenFone 3 Deluxe gets new Snapdragon 821 processor
- China to chart Communist Party future amid crackdowns