Tarun Gogoi urges PM to take up Bramhaputra issue with China
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi requested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today to take up the issue of construction of three new dams in the upstream of the Brahmaputra river with China.
Gogoi, in a letter to the Prime Minister said, though the Chinese government had assured that it would take note of the interest of downstream areas but Assam apprehended that the dams might affect the state.
The entire economy of Assam and the Northeast is dependent on the Brahmaputra river and the construction of three new dams in the upstream of the river might affect the interest of the region in downstream areas, an official release said.
The Prime Minister has already taken up the matter with his Chinese counterpart, while the Assam government took it up with the External Affairs Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- On Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu's feats: Hats off to women for saving our respect in front of whole world, says Pullela Gopichand
- WATCH: Usain Bolt attempted javelin throw at Rio 2016 - His effort will shock you!
- Kareena Kapoor Khan opens up on her pregnancy, says she is proud of it!
- PHOTO (Inside): Not for the faint-hearted! Saina Nehwal shares image of her knee's broken bone
- 'Domestic airfares to decline at lower rate in Q2'