Tarun Gogoi urges PM to take up Bramhaputra issue with China
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi requested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today to take up the issue of construction of three new dams in the upstream of the Brahmaputra river with China.
Gogoi, in a letter to the Prime Minister said, though the Chinese government had assured that it would take note of the interest of downstream areas but Assam apprehended that the dams might affect the state.
The entire economy of Assam and the Northeast is dependent on the Brahmaputra river and the construction of three new dams in the upstream of the river might affect the interest of the region in downstream areas, an official release said.
The Prime Minister has already taken up the matter with his Chinese counterpart, while the Assam government took it up with the External Affairs Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price