Tarun Gogoi urges PM to take up Bramhaputra issue with China
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi requested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today to take up the issue of construction of three new dams in the upstream of the Brahmaputra river with China.
Gogoi, in a letter to the Prime Minister said, though the Chinese government had assured that it would take note of the interest of downstream areas but Assam apprehended that the dams might affect the state.
The entire economy of Assam and the Northeast is dependent on the Brahmaputra river and the construction of three new dams in the upstream of the river might affect the interest of the region in downstream areas, an official release said.
The Prime Minister has already taken up the matter with his Chinese counterpart, while the Assam government took it up with the External Affairs Ministry.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane