Tarun Gogoi urges PM to take up Bramhaputra issue with China
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi requested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today to take up the issue of construction of three new dams in the upstream of the Brahmaputra river with China.
Gogoi, in a letter to the Prime Minister said, though the Chinese government had assured that it would take note of the interest of downstream areas but Assam apprehended that the dams might affect the state.
The entire economy of Assam and the Northeast is dependent on the Brahmaputra river and the construction of three new dams in the upstream of the river might affect the interest of the region in downstream areas, an official release said.
The Prime Minister has already taken up the matter with his Chinese counterpart, while the Assam government took it up with the External Affairs Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested