Team Anna support to anti-dam protests in Assam
New Delhi: Team Anna on Monday came out in support of anti-dam protests in Assam led by one of its members Akhil Gogoi and asked the government to accept the demands of the protestors.
In a statement, Team Anna said the construction of dams in Arunachal Pradesh be stopped "as people of Assam cutting across their economic background have been opposing it".
They said the construction activities should stop till an agreement is reached with the people living in the downstream.
They also demanded the alleged police action against protestors be stopped and all those detained released unconditionally.
Gogoi, a Team Anna Core Committee member and general secretary of Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS), is on an indefinite fast along with 30 others since last Saturday as part of anti-dam protests.
Gogoi alleged "police atrocities" have increased and that is why he is sitting on an indefinite fast to press for their demands like release all the detained activists unconditionally and stopping of police attrocities, a statement said.
"India Against Corruption believes that the demands made by Mr. Gogoi must be implemented with immediate effect. IAC urges the government to take immediate steps in this regards. We stand with the activists led by Gogoi in the struggle for betterment of the people in the North East," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez