Tension in Dhubri after desecration of place of worship
Dhubri: Police on Saturday fired in the air to disperse a mob protesting the damage to a place of worship and theft of ornaments worth Rs two lakh from there in Assam`s Dhubri district, police said.
Police fired six rounds in the air at R K Mission Road here as locals blocked the road, protesting the desecration of the worship place last night when curfew was in place in the town.
The town observed a spontaneous bandh with markets, shops, business establishments, offices, educational institutions and banks closing down, officials said.
Locals demanded that the culprits be arrested within a day.
Night curfew from 10 pm to 6 am was on in the region since violence broke out in Bodoland Territorial Autonomous District (BTAD) and Dhubri district last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details