Tension in Dhubri after desecration of place of worship
Dhubri: Police on Saturday fired in the air to disperse a mob protesting the damage to a place of worship and theft of ornaments worth Rs two lakh from there in Assam`s Dhubri district, police said.
Police fired six rounds in the air at R K Mission Road here as locals blocked the road, protesting the desecration of the worship place last night when curfew was in place in the town.
The town observed a spontaneous bandh with markets, shops, business establishments, offices, educational institutions and banks closing down, officials said.
Locals demanded that the culprits be arrested within a day.
Night curfew from 10 pm to 6 am was on in the region since violence broke out in Bodoland Territorial Autonomous District (BTAD) and Dhubri district last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Facebook doesn't pose threat: YouTube