Tension in Dhubri after desecration of place of worship
Dhubri: Police on Saturday fired in the air to disperse a mob protesting the damage to a place of worship and theft of ornaments worth Rs two lakh from there in Assam`s Dhubri district, police said.
Police fired six rounds in the air at R K Mission Road here as locals blocked the road, protesting the desecration of the worship place last night when curfew was in place in the town.
The town observed a spontaneous bandh with markets, shops, business establishments, offices, educational institutions and banks closing down, officials said.
Locals demanded that the culprits be arrested within a day.
Night curfew from 10 pm to 6 am was on in the region since violence broke out in Bodoland Territorial Autonomous District (BTAD) and Dhubri district last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation