Third force may be involved in killing of tea estate owner: Assam CM
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Sunday said that some "outside third force" may be involved in the brutal killing of a tea estate owner and his wife in Tinsukia district last week, amid apprehensions about Maoist involvement in the violence.
"I cannot say for sure but maybe some outside force is involved in the killing. I am not ruling that out. We have ordered an inquiry and that will bring out the truth," Gogoi told reporters here on the sidelines of a Congress party event.
Asked if Maoists elements are involved in the incident, he said "I do not have definite information regarding involvement of Maoists. But it is a fact that Maoists have started large scale propaganda in some particular belts in the state."
MKB (Asia) Pvt Ltd proprietor Mridul Kumar Bhattacharya, and his wife Reeta were burnt alive when a group of disgruntled workers set afire their bungalow in Kunapathar tea estate on December 26.
Gogoi said tea garden workers in the state still face deprivation and there is a need to address their problems but stressed that nobody has a right to indulge in violence.
He said there was a need to implement labour laws to address the problems of workers.
"We have to bring an understanding between the workers and management of tea estates. We will have to take measures to benefit the labour force and address their grievances," he said.
Gogoi also said that community policing would be introduced in the state to bring police and people closer. It would help to curb crimes against women, he said.
"We need community policing. We need to train our police and also change the mindset of the people," he said.
Meanwhile, Assam DGP Jayanta Narayan Choudhury visited Tinsukia today and took stock of the situation. He said that five of the attackers involved in the incident have been identified and efforts are on to arrest them.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India