Three Karbi militants killed in Assam
Guwahati: Three hard core militants of the Karbi Peoples` Liberation Tigers (KPLT) militant group were killed in Assam in the early hours of Wednesday.
Police said that the incident took place near Dolamara Tarapung area under Borpathar police station in Karbi Anglong district of Assam.
Karbi Anglong Superintendent of Police (SP) B B Chetri confirmed the incident and said that three AK-47 rifles and some ammunition were recovered from the three slain militants.
The militants were yet to be identified, Chetri said.
"A joint team of police and the army launched an operation in the area last night, based on specific information that a group of KPLT militants were hiding in the area," Chetri said, adding that the three militants of the outfit were killed in the ensuing gun battle in the early hours of Wednesday, while some others managed to escape.
Assam Police launched a crackdown against KPLT militants in April this year as the outfit had stepped up its extortion drives and kidnappings in the district, making people`s life miserable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands