Three Karbi militants killed in Assam
Guwahati: Three hard core militants of the Karbi Peoples` Liberation Tigers (KPLT) militant group were killed in Assam in the early hours of Wednesday.
Police said that the incident took place near Dolamara Tarapung area under Borpathar police station in Karbi Anglong district of Assam.
Karbi Anglong Superintendent of Police (SP) B B Chetri confirmed the incident and said that three AK-47 rifles and some ammunition were recovered from the three slain militants.
The militants were yet to be identified, Chetri said.
"A joint team of police and the army launched an operation in the area last night, based on specific information that a group of KPLT militants were hiding in the area," Chetri said, adding that the three militants of the outfit were killed in the ensuing gun battle in the early hours of Wednesday, while some others managed to escape.
Assam Police launched a crackdown against KPLT militants in April this year as the outfit had stepped up its extortion drives and kidnappings in the district, making people`s life miserable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof