Three more arrested in Silchar gang rape case
Karimganj (Assam): Three more accused involved in the rape of a college girl in Silchar town of Assam have been arrested, the police said on Sunday.
The three accused - Latumian Laskar, Shebul Ahmed and Putul Ahmed - were nabbed from Borkhola town in Cachar district late last night.
The accused in the case, Dibyendu Shekhar Kar, who is also a lawyer, was arrested on August 15 from Borkhola. Kar is currently in police custody.
Several prominent organisations and NGOs had staged protests in the last few days to demand arrest of the four accused.
The girl, a student of Silchar Womens College and hailing from Guwahati, was forcibly picked by four persons and taken to Kumbhirgram airport road in Silchar and raped on August 11, the police said.
The accused had threatened of dire consequences if she reports to the police. She filed an FIR with Silchar police station on August 14 after the arrival of her mother and sister from Guwahati.
Cachar District Bar Association has already expelled Kar from its membership.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know