Three more arrested in Silchar gang rape case
Karimganj (Assam): Three more accused involved in the rape of a college girl in Silchar town of Assam have been arrested, the police said on Sunday.
The three accused - Latumian Laskar, Shebul Ahmed and Putul Ahmed - were nabbed from Borkhola town in Cachar district late last night.
The accused in the case, Dibyendu Shekhar Kar, who is also a lawyer, was arrested on August 15 from Borkhola. Kar is currently in police custody.
Several prominent organisations and NGOs had staged protests in the last few days to demand arrest of the four accused.
The girl, a student of Silchar Womens College and hailing from Guwahati, was forcibly picked by four persons and taken to Kumbhirgram airport road in Silchar and raped on August 11, the police said.
The accused had threatened of dire consequences if she reports to the police. She filed an FIR with Silchar police station on August 14 after the arrival of her mother and sister from Guwahati.
Cachar District Bar Association has already expelled Kar from its membership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next