TMC MP with huge cash at IGI: EC asks CBDT to submit report
New Delhi: The Election Commission has
asked the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) to submit an
inquiry report into the incident where a Trinamool Congress MP
was hold up at the Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi
recently for carrying Rs 57 lakh cash.
The EC asked CBDT Chairman Sudhir Chandra to submit by Monday a detailed report in this regard and any subsequent
action taken by the Income Tax department to question Kanwar
Deep Singh, Trinamool`s Rajya Sabha member from Jharkhand and
owner of Alchemist Group.
The MP was intercepted by the airport security for
carrying the huge cash to poll-bound Guwahati. He was later
allowed to go after he informed authorities that the money
belonged to his company. He was accompanied by seven others in
a private plane.
Sources said the EC wants to know the `end-use` of the
cash that was being carried by Singh as the IT department at
the airport had found the source of the money to be
The EC has asked the IT department to keep a
surveillance on any suspected cash movement in view of the
upcoming Assembly polls in four states and a union territory.
The department has hence activated air intelligence units at
various airports to keep a tab on suspicious movement of cash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!