Top Maoist leader remanded to NIA custody
Guwahati: Top Maoist leader Indranil Chandra, alias Ajay Da, who heads the rebel outfit in Assam, has been remanded to seven days custody with the National Investigation Agency.
Chandra was brought here on Wednesday from Kolkata where he was recently arrested. He was produced in a NIA designated court here and remanded to seven days of NIA custody, NIA`s Superintendent of Police Debojit Hazarika said here.
Chandra, hailing from Burdwan district of West Bengal, had visited the state several times to coordinate with the local Maoist cadres, he said.
He had visited several areas in the state, including lower Assam, and held several meetings, sources said.
The police believe that with the arrest of Chandra information will come to light about the growing activities of Maoists in Assam and the North East.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India