Top Maoist leader remanded to NIA custody
Guwahati: Top Maoist leader Indranil Chandra, alias Ajay Da, who heads the rebel outfit in Assam, has been remanded to seven days custody with the National Investigation Agency.
Chandra was brought here on Wednesday from Kolkata where he was recently arrested. He was produced in a NIA designated court here and remanded to seven days of NIA custody, NIA`s Superintendent of Police Debojit Hazarika said here.
Chandra, hailing from Burdwan district of West Bengal, had visited the state several times to coordinate with the local Maoist cadres, he said.
He had visited several areas in the state, including lower Assam, and held several meetings, sources said.
The police believe that with the arrest of Chandra information will come to light about the growing activities of Maoists in Assam and the North East.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire