Top Maoist leader remanded to NIA custody
Guwahati: Top Maoist leader Indranil Chandra, alias Ajay Da, who heads the rebel outfit in Assam, has been remanded to seven days custody with the National Investigation Agency.
Chandra was brought here on Wednesday from Kolkata where he was recently arrested. He was produced in a NIA designated court here and remanded to seven days of NIA custody, NIA`s Superintendent of Police Debojit Hazarika said here.
Chandra, hailing from Burdwan district of West Bengal, had visited the state several times to coordinate with the local Maoist cadres, he said.
He had visited several areas in the state, including lower Assam, and held several meetings, sources said.
The police believe that with the arrest of Chandra information will come to light about the growing activities of Maoists in Assam and the North East.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH