Top Maoist leader remanded to NIA custody
Guwahati: Top Maoist leader Indranil Chandra, alias Ajay Da, who heads the rebel outfit in Assam, has been remanded to seven days custody with the National Investigation Agency.
Chandra was brought here on Wednesday from Kolkata where he was recently arrested. He was produced in a NIA designated court here and remanded to seven days of NIA custody, NIA`s Superintendent of Police Debojit Hazarika said here.
Chandra, hailing from Burdwan district of West Bengal, had visited the state several times to coordinate with the local Maoist cadres, he said.
He had visited several areas in the state, including lower Assam, and held several meetings, sources said.
The police believe that with the arrest of Chandra information will come to light about the growing activities of Maoists in Assam and the North East.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000