Train services hit by rail blockade in Assam
Goalpara/Rangiya: Train services were affected in Goalpara and Kamrup (Rural) districts of Assam following the rail blockade called by the All Rabha Students` Union (ARSU) to protest against holding of Panchayat elections in Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council areas.
ARSU activists blocked rail tracks at several places in Goalpara and Kamrup (Rural) districts today to protest holding of panchayat elections in villages which fall under RHAC areas.
The Bongaigaon-Haibargaon Chilarai Express was stopped in Goalpara station this morning with activists resorting to stone pelting in which the train driver was injured.
Police rushed to the spot and resorted to a mild lathicharge to disperse the protestors.
The train later resumed its onward journey but was again stopped at Bamunigaon in Kamrup (Rural) district by the picketers.
ARSU activists and members of several organisations representing the Rabha community have resorted to widespread protests in the districts during the last fortnight protesting holding of panchayat elections in villages within RHAC.
Assam State Election Commission has notified holding of Panchayat elections prior to the Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council (RHAC) elections in the two districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok