Train services hit by rail blockade in Assam
Goalpara/Rangiya: Train services were affected in Goalpara and Kamrup (Rural) districts of Assam following the rail blockade called by the All Rabha Students` Union (ARSU) to protest against holding of Panchayat elections in Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council areas.
ARSU activists blocked rail tracks at several places in Goalpara and Kamrup (Rural) districts today to protest holding of panchayat elections in villages which fall under RHAC areas.
The Bongaigaon-Haibargaon Chilarai Express was stopped in Goalpara station this morning with activists resorting to stone pelting in which the train driver was injured.
Police rushed to the spot and resorted to a mild lathicharge to disperse the protestors.
The train later resumed its onward journey but was again stopped at Bamunigaon in Kamrup (Rural) district by the picketers.
ARSU activists and members of several organisations representing the Rabha community have resorted to widespread protests in the districts during the last fortnight protesting holding of panchayat elections in villages within RHAC.
Assam State Election Commission has notified holding of Panchayat elections prior to the Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council (RHAC) elections in the two districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened