Triangular contest in lone Mizoram Lok Sabha seat
Aizawl: Mizoram`s lone Lok Sabha seat, for which voting will be held April 9, is expected to witness a triangular contest between incumbent C.L. Ruala of the state`s ruling Congress, Robert Romawia Royte of the United Democratic Front (UDF) and M. Lalmanzuala of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
An election department official told reporters that after the lone independent Vanlalngaia`s withdrew, three candidates remained in the fray.
The main opposition UDF is an alliance of eight parties led by the Mizo National Front, which ruled the state for two terms (1998-2003 and 2003-2008).
The MNF had won the sabha seat, reserved for the tribals, in 2004.
The by-election for the Hrangturzo assembly seat would also be held April 9.
There would also be a straight battle in the by-election, which was necessitated after Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla, who won from two seats in the assembly polls held Nov 25 last year, vacated the seat.
Vanlalawmpuii Chawngthu of the Congress would contest against the UDF nominee H. Lalduhawma, who unsuccessfully contested the last assembly elections from the same seat.
The last date of withdrawal of nominations is March 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!