Triangular contest in lone Mizoram Lok Sabha seat
Aizawl: Mizoram`s lone Lok Sabha seat, for which voting will be held April 9, is expected to witness a triangular contest between incumbent C.L. Ruala of the state`s ruling Congress, Robert Romawia Royte of the United Democratic Front (UDF) and M. Lalmanzuala of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
An election department official told reporters that after the lone independent Vanlalngaia`s withdrew, three candidates remained in the fray.
The main opposition UDF is an alliance of eight parties led by the Mizo National Front, which ruled the state for two terms (1998-2003 and 2003-2008).
The MNF had won the sabha seat, reserved for the tribals, in 2004.
The by-election for the Hrangturzo assembly seat would also be held April 9.
There would also be a straight battle in the by-election, which was necessitated after Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla, who won from two seats in the assembly polls held Nov 25 last year, vacated the seat.
Vanlalawmpuii Chawngthu of the Congress would contest against the UDF nominee H. Lalduhawma, who unsuccessfully contested the last assembly elections from the same seat.
The last date of withdrawal of nominations is March 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read