Triangular contest in lone Mizoram Lok Sabha seat
Aizawl: Mizoram`s lone Lok Sabha seat, for which voting will be held April 9, is expected to witness a triangular contest between incumbent C.L. Ruala of the state`s ruling Congress, Robert Romawia Royte of the United Democratic Front (UDF) and M. Lalmanzuala of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
An election department official told reporters that after the lone independent Vanlalngaia`s withdrew, three candidates remained in the fray.
The main opposition UDF is an alliance of eight parties led by the Mizo National Front, which ruled the state for two terms (1998-2003 and 2003-2008).
The MNF had won the sabha seat, reserved for the tribals, in 2004.
The by-election for the Hrangturzo assembly seat would also be held April 9.
There would also be a straight battle in the by-election, which was necessitated after Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla, who won from two seats in the assembly polls held Nov 25 last year, vacated the seat.
Vanlalawmpuii Chawngthu of the Congress would contest against the UDF nominee H. Lalduhawma, who unsuccessfully contested the last assembly elections from the same seat.
The last date of withdrawal of nominations is March 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- December 16 gang-rape convict attempts suicide – Read Nirbhaya parents' response
- 1st ODI: Azhar Ali's 82 goes in vain as Jason Roy guides England to 44-run win over Pakistan
- Janmashtami: Watch Dahi-Handi celebrations from Mumbai
- Vietnam scientists spot rare endangered primates
- David Warner named Australia captain as Steve Smith heads home to rest ahead of hectic home schedule