Tripura miffed over non-upgradation of NH 44
Agartala: Tripura government has expressed dissatisfaction over non-upgradation of the Assam-Agartala National Highway (NH 44) into four lanes.
State Public Works Department (PWD) Minister Badal Chowdhury said, "Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had laid the foundation stone in 2005 for upgrading the NH44 to four lanes, but there was no progress".
"Two months back, Chief Minister Manik Sarkar and I met the Prime Minister to remind him about his promise and he assured us that it would be done within the 12th Five Year Plan," he said.
Chowdhury said the railway connectivity could be extended to Sabroom in South Tripura district by 2014 from where the international sea port Chittagong is just located 75 K.M away.
"If the railway track is extended up to the port, Tripura would emerge as the best connected state among the north eastern states with the South Asian countries, he added.
Not only NH-44, the fate of the alternative national highways from North Tripura district to South Tripura district (Kokital to Sabroom) and another road from Manu in Dhalai district to Singhlongbari (Mizoram) is still uncertain though they are considered strategic for state, he said.
"Anyway, we will continue to press for our demand to upgrade NH-44 and two more minor roads to ensure better road connectivity," he said.
According to the 2001 census there are 8132 human habitats (villages) of which 6572 habitats were connected by black top roads and the rest would be connected in a phased manner.
Chowdhury said all the small wooden bridges would be converted into cement bridges or steel-made bailey bridges on priority basis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared